“Science and everyday life cannot, and should not be separated.” Rosalind Franklin
Science (from the Latin word scientia, meaning "knowledge") is a systematic enterprise that builds and organises knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe.
The science curriculum has been designed to provide students with a deep understanding of the scientific knowledge and ideas that impact them as individuals within a local and globalised context.
As pupils move from KS2-KS4, their curiosity will be developed and challenged, providing an insight into working scientifically and appreciating the value of science in their everyday lives. Our curriculum provides a platform for more advanced science based study, providing a gateway into a wide range of career opportunities. It also delivers a framework for understanding the natural world and supporting students to become scientifically literate participants in society.
The key principles of the Science curriculum at Laurel Park are:
● To develop a knowledge rich curriculum, supported by high quality teacher instruction, collaborative learning and the opportunity for pupils to demonstrate understanding.
● To use models effectively to help explain concepts and critical evaluation of these models.
● Development, understanding and use of scientific language and linking this language between other curriculum areas.
● The sequence of learning, including prior knowledge and next steps.
● Retrieval of information over time.
● Links to other subjects as well as local and social context. The intent is to create an overarching narrative for our curriculum strands that triangulates. The rationale was to allow pupils to understand ‘what they are learning, why they are learning this now, what does this build on and where does it lead.
● 8 recently refurbished Science Labs
● All Science labs include large workshop bench spaces to allow for lots of practical work. They are generously equipped with all the equipment needed including flasks, beakers, chemicals and gas points for the use of equipment such as bunsen burners.
The Science curriculum booklet can be downloaded here: